If you’re short on time &/or energy, this sounds like a great recipe. My mother used to use canned sweet potatoes, and she would make delicious mashed sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top. I guess you could put marshmallows on top of this instead of the brown sugar mixture if you preferred. Here’s the easy recipe from Southern Living, November 2006 by Jean Ellard, Birmingham, Alabama.
- 3 (40-oz.) cans cut sweet potatoes, drain the syrup
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
Combine first 7 ingredients and beat at medium speed until smooth. Spoon into lightly greased 9 x 13 dish. Mix last 4 ingredients and sprinkle evenly on top of sweet potato mixture. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.