If you’re having trouble sleeping, try these suggestions in the evening:
- eat melatonin-rich foods such as bananas, oats, rice, sweet corn, ginger
- eat tryptophan-rich foods such as bananas, dates, figs, milk, nut butter, tuna, turkey, whole grain crackers, yogurt
- eat grapefruit
- Avoid caffeine past 2:00 in the afternoon
- Avoid alcohol – disrupts deep sleep cycles later during the night
- Avoid tobacco – nicotine is a neurostimulant and can cause sleep problems
- Avoid eating heavy meals three hours before bedtime.
- Avoid these foods late in the evening because they contain tyramine which increases the release of norepinephrine (a brain stimulant): bacon, cheese, chocolate, eggplant, ham, potatoes, sauerkraut, sugar, sausage, spinach, & tomatoes
- Exercise regularly in the late afternoon or early evening but not right before bedtime. This helps you to relax and make the body more tired so that sleep comes more easily.
- Take a hot bath an hour or two before bedtime
- Drink a cup of Sleepytime Tea (or chamomile tea)
- Keep the bedroom dark and the temperature cool
- Learn to put all worries out of your mind and concentrate on something pleasant & positive
For me, I try to do the above things. I also take two calcium citrate caplets, two magnesium malate caplets, one flax oil capsule, two 5HTPs, and sometimes one melatonin tablet. Every night, I try to eat a banana right before I go to bed. And I don’t take my worries and problems to bed with me. I pray and turn them over to God. That’s what works for me.
Pingback: healthyhomeblog.com » Blog Archive » “I Don’t Want to Wake Up!”