Healthy, beautiful hair starts on the inside. What we eat makes a difference in how our hair looks, how our skin looks, how we feel. Below are lists of foods that contain important nutrients for pretty, healthy hair:
Vitamin B-6 found in:
- Highest amounts found in carrots, chicken, eggs, fish, meat, peas, spinach, sunflower seeds, walnuts and wheat germ.
- Also found in avocado, bananas, beans, blackstrap molasses, broccoli, brown rice, cabbage, cantaloupe, corn, potatoes, soybeans, whole grains.
Folic Acid found in:
- Found in barley, beans, beef, bran, brown rice, cheese, chicken, dates, green leafy vegetables, lamb, legumes, lentils, liver, milk, mushrooms, oranges, peas, pork, root vegetables, salmon, tuna, wheat germ, and whole grains.
Vitamin B-12 found in:
- Highest amounts found in clams, dairy products, eggs, herring, liver, mackeral, and sea food.
- Also found in sea vegetables such as dulce and kelp, and soy products as well.
I know someone whose hairdresser noticed significant improvement in their hair after eating steel cut oats for a couple of months. Oatmeal is a good food source for folic acid and also for gamma linolenic acid (GLA), an essential fatty acid needed by the body.