How to Read Labels for Organic Products

The USDA has three categories of organic products:

  1. “100% Organic” means that the product is made with 100% organic ingredients.
  2. “Organic” means that the product is made with at least 95% organic ingredients.  The remaining 5% cannot contain any GMO’s.
  3. “Made With Organic Ingredients” means that the product is made with a minimum of 70% organic ingredients.  The remaining 30% cannot contain any GMO’s.

If the product contains less than 70% organic ingredients, then they may list each organic ingredient in the Ingredients List on the side of the package.  However, the product may not have “Organic” on the front of their packaging.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.