This sounds so good, somewhat like my mother used to make, only she used regular cornmeal instead of stone-ground and used dry sage instead of fresh.
INGREDIENTS FOR CORN BREAD:
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups stone-ground cornmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups whole milk
DIRECTIONS FOR CORN BREAD:
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Pour oil into a 13 x 9 inch metal baking pan. Heat oil in oven until very hot for about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Stir in eggs and milk. Pour hot oil into cornmeal mixture and mix. Be very careful because oil will be hot! Pour into heated pan.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes until golden brown on the top. Let stand for at least 15 minutes and then crumble the corn bread.
INGREDIENTS FOR DRESSING:
- Above recipe for corn bread
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 – 1 cup fresh sage, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups turkey stock (or canned chicken broth)
DIRECTIONS FOR DRESSING:
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees. Use a large skillet and saute onion and celery in 12 tablespoons butter and the olive oil for about 7-8 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix the onion mixture, sage, salt, pepper, and cornbread. Spoon into a 13 x 9 inch glass casserole dish. Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter and drizzle over the top. Pour the turkey stock or chicken broth on top of that. Cover with foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes with the foil covering. Remove the foil and bake for 10 additional minutes until browned on top.