Last year, I remember hearing of two or three people who died from falls while trying to hang Christmas lights. That’s so sad! According to the Home Safety Council, falls are the #1 cause of home injuries and deaths. Here are some good safety rules:
- Never hang lights alone. Always have someone to help watch.
- Hang lights in the daytime, not at night.
- Make sure the ground under the ladder is level and firm.
- The base of a straight ladder should move one foot out from the house for every four feet of ladder height. (a tilt of 75 degrees)
- Keep your body centered on the ladder. If you need to reach areas to either side of the ladder, move the ladder rather than leaning too far.
- Be careful of sharp bushes or trees nearby with protruding limbs.