Charlie Gibson talks about his dish for Enchilada Casserole being the most requested recipe in the history of Good Morning America in this clip with Rachael Ray. This recipe is a favorite of the Gibsons, and he first shared this recipe on “Good Morning America” during the 2002 Family Cook-Off Series. Now it is a favorite of many viewers.
One time, though, Emeril Lagasse intimated that Gibson stole the recipe from him. To keep the record straight, Gibson informed Emeril in an ABC Blog Entry that this recipe was given to the Gibsons 20 years ago by a family friend, Mary Corkran.
Here’s the famous recipe most requested by GMA viewers:
- 13 ounce package of Doritoes (save 2 cups for topping)
- 10 ounce can of chili with beans
- 10-15 ounce can of enchilada sauce
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (save 1/2 cup for topping) (try reduced fat cheese)
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream (I would try reduced fat or fat-free)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, crumble 6 cups of Doritoes. Add the chili, both sauces, 1 1/2 cups cheese (remember to save 1/2 cup), and the onion to the crumbled Doritoes. Stir gently. Pour into an 8 1/2 x 11 inch casserole dish. Bake for 20 minutes.
Remove from oven and spread sour cream on top. Top with remaining 2 cups of crumbled Doritoes. Then sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Bake for 5 more minutes.