Never pour water on a grease fire! Let me repeat, never ever pour water on a grease fire! Do not throw flour or sugar on a grease fire either. Baking soda is OK, but it takes a huge amount of baking soda to eliminate a fire, and the vast majority of people will not have enough baking soda. So…follow these simple tips. Do not move the pan! You could catch your clothes on fire. If the pan has a lid, place the lid on the pan. If you don’t have a lid, wet a large towel completely with water, wring out excess water, then gently lay the wet towel over the pan. If it is a large grease fire, get everyone out of the house and call 911. Use a fire extinguisher if you have one. Be extremely careful of smoke. Smoke can overpower people before they know it and is extremely dangerous. If there is a lot of smoke, stay outside and let the professionals handle it.
Below is a video that shows what happens when water is poured on a grease fire. It also shows how the fire is put out by a wet towel.